The Green Mortgage; the one where we’ll pay you £1,000 for improving your home’s energy efficiency


Whether you’re looking to buy a new home or remortgage your existing one, it’s usually a time when you start to think about what home improvements you want to make. If better energy efficiency is top of your list, now might be the time to ask your adviser about our green eKo Cashback Mortgage. 

All you have to do is improve your home's energy efficiency rating by moving to the next Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) banding e.g. D to C OR increasing your rating by at least 10 Standard Assessment Procedure (SAP) points. Then just send us a new EPC within 12 months of your mortgage completion date. If you've made all your mortgage payments on time and in full, we'll pay you a lump sum of £1,000 into the bank account associated with your direct debit mortgage payments. 

We’ll pay you £1,000 cashback when you improve your home’s energy efficiency rating by moving to the next Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) banding OR increasing your rating by at least 10 Standard Assessment Procedure (SAP) points.†

† Cashback subject to product terms and conditions


SAP points contribute towards a home’s overall EPC which measures the energy efficiency rating on a scale of A to G with A being the most efficient. Most UK homes are in bands D to E and every time you make an improvement to your home that’s energy efficient you increase your SAP points. It could be as simple as changing your light bulbs to LED’s, installing a new boiler or getting loft and/or cavity wall insulation.

Hands watering growing plants on soil

We like to make things as clear as possible, so you’ll find everything you need to know below and in the tabs above:

  • Supply your mortgage adviser with a copy of the Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) for the property you’d like to buy or are remortgaging. Your mortgage adviser will then submit the EPC as part of your mortgage application.  
  • If you’re applying for a new mortgage, the EPC will form part of the Home Information Pack provided by the seller.
  • If you don’t have your EPC to hand, for properties in England, Wales and Northern Ireland, you can find a copy at, and for Scotland, please visit You can retrieve your EPC by using a unique reference number or by using the property’s postcode.
  • The EPC will display the property’s current and potential rating.
  • If the property doesn’t have an EPC (EPC’s only became a legal requirement in 2008) or the existing EPC has expired (EPC’s expire after 10 years) you will need to pay for a new assessment on the property. The price of an EPC can be found when you contact an assessor. For properties in England, Wales and Northern Ireland, you can find details of assessors at and For properties in Scotland, please visit
  • The mortgage or remortgage is completed and if you’re moving home, you take ownership of the property.
  • Energy efficiency improvements to the property are made within 12 months of the mortgage completion date.
  • You’ll need to arrange and pay for a new Energy Performance Assessment  (EPA) to be undertaken on the property. The EPA will provide you with a new EPC which you will be able to use to determine how many SAP points you have after you have made your energy efficient home improvements.    
  • Send or email your new EPC to us no later than 12 months after your mortgage completion date to or by post to Kensington Mortgages, Ascot House, Maidenhead Office Park, Maidenhead, SL6 3QQ  
  • We verify the increase of 10 SAP points or an increase in your EPC banding.  
  • £1,000 cashback will be paid directly into the bank account that we collect your active monthly Direct Debit from, as long as your mortgage account is up to date, with no missed payments since completion.


Before you decide to talk to your mortgage adviser about our eKo £1,000 Cashback Mortgage, we suggest that you review the ‘Recommendations’ and if included, the ‘Further measures to achieve even higher standards’ sections of your current EPC. This will provide a good indication of whether any recommended energy efficiency measures are likely to result in a 10-point SAP increase or an increase in your EPC banding.

What kind of home improvements can help me increase my SAP points or improve the banding?
You will find recommended energy efficiency improvements for the property on your existing EPC and the number of SAP points and associated band that each measure accumulates.
I’m thinking about having solar panels fitted to my roof; is there anything I need to consider and do I need to ask your permission first?

If you plan to purchase solar panels outright and your property is freehold, you do not need to request consent from us.  However, if you would like to enter into a lease agreement with a solar panel firm you must request consent. Before we can give you consent to proceed, we will need confirmation that your request meets several requirements including, but not limited to, that your property is freehold and that the installation firm you plan to use is accredited by the Microgeneration Certification Scheme (MCS). 

Will I need a solicitor to review the solar panel lease agreement?

Yes. We will need you to instruct a solicitor (following completion and at your own expense) who is willing to act on behalf of you and Kensington. The solicitor will need to review the lease agreement and confirm that our minimum requirements for consent have been met.

What happens if the recommended energy efficiency improvements on my EPC don't increase the band or add up to 10 SAP points?

In this case, we would recommend you talk to your broker as another Kensington mortgage may be more suitable for you.

How can I find a copy of my Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)?
For properties in England, Wales and Northern Ireland, you can find a copy of your EPC online at using your postcode or unique reference number. For properties in Scotland, please visit
What happens if the home I’m remortgaging or buying doesn’t have an EPC?

In that case, you’ll need to have a new EPC assessment undertaken to determine the home’s current energy performance rating. For properties in England, Wales and Northern Ireland, you can find an assessor by visiting or For properties in Scotland, please visit

What happens if the property’s existing EPC has expired?

You will need to have a new EPC assessment undertaken to determine the home’s current energy performance rating. For properties in England, Wales and Northern Ireland, you can find an assessor by visiting or

For properties in Scotland, please visit

How much will an EPC assessment cost?

The cost for an EPC assessment can vary depending on who the assessment company is and which area you live in. For properties in England, Wales and Northern Ireland, if you visit or you’ll be able to find an assessor. For properties in Scotland, please visit When you contact your chosen assessor they will give you a cost.

Why do I need to supply you with a new EPC rating?

We’ll need to see what your EPC rating is before and after you make any home improvements that improve your energy efficiency rating, so we can verify that you have either moved to the next EPC banding or increased your SAP points by at least 10 points.

We may hold your EPC rating at point of completion, please check with us before requesting this again. 

For example, if the SAP points shown on your EPC are 55 and the band is D, before you make any home improvements, and your new EPC shows that your band has moved to C or your points have increased to 65, after the home improvements, we will be able to verify that your energy efficiency rating has improved by one of the required amounts to qualify for the cashback. 

Where do I send my new EPC?
Once you have completed your energy efficient home improvements and have a new EPC, you can send it to us by email at or by post at Kensington Mortgages, Ascot House, Maidenhead Office Park, Maidenhead, SL6 3QQ.
Is there a time limit for me to carry out the home improvements and send my new EPC to you?

Yes, you have 12 months from the date of your mortgage completion to make any home improvements and send a new EPC to us.

How long will it take for you to verify my new band or SAP points increase?

We ask that you allow 5-10 working days for us to verify your energy rating or SAP points increase. 

What happens after I have submitted my new EPC to you?

We’ll write to you to let you know the outcome of the review of your new EPC and SAP points.

How long after you have verified my increase in SAP points or improved banding will it take for me to be paid the cashback?

We’ll pay the £1,000 cashback into the bank account your active Direct Debit is collected from within 5-10 working days. 

Are there any instances where I won’t be paid my cashback?

To be eligible for your cashback, you must make your claim within 12 months of completion and your mortgage account will need to be up to date, with all monthly payments having been made on time and in full.  You will also need to have an active Direct Debit in place. 

What happens if my SAP points increase or band improvement isn’t verified?

If we are unable to verify an improvement in your energy band rating or a SAP points increase, we will write to you and let you know the reason why.

If you can’t verify my SAP points increase or band improvement, will I have another opportunity to increase them?

If you are still within 12 months of the completion date of your mortgage, you can make another application. 

Our mortgages are specially arranged through approved mortgage advisers who will be able to talk you through the mortgages and options that could be available to you. You’ll need to borrow at least £25,000 and the property will need to have a minimum value of £75,000.  

If you don’t have a mortgage adviser, you might want to contact Like Mortgage Advice* who can offer you FEE FREE, no obligation advice on Kensington products – both before and during the mortgage application process.

If you prefer, you can find your own broker by visiting where you'll find a list of advisers to choose from.

Why not find out how much you could borrow with our mortgage calculator?

* Like Mortgage Advice Limited is an appointed representative of Hawke Financial Services LLP, who are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA Register No. 478284)


  • Our Mortgage Calculator
    Why not get an idea of how much you could borrow with our easy to use mortgage calculator.
  • Guide to the mortgage process
    Our helpful guide takes you through the mortgage process from start to finish, so you'll know what to expect at every stage.
  • Before you apply
    We’ve put together a helpful list of some of the key things you and your adviser will need to consider before your adviser submits your application for a Kensington mortgage.
  • Why choose Kensington
    As a specialist mortgage lender, we know that no two people or their circumstances are the same. That's why we've always celebrated differences.
  • Getting advice and help
    How to get the advice and help you need to find the mortgage that may be suitable for your circumstances.

    We're rated excellent on Trustpilot

    Award-winning, and here to help

    MF22 multiWIN-onlinemrtprv
    WMA_2022_Logo_Best Specialist Lender_Winners_3years-01-01-01
    Personal Finance Awards Best Intermediary Lender


    Why not get an idea of how much you could borrow with our easy to use mortgage calculator.