Get Mortgage Fit
We want to make things easier for you and your mortgage adviser so this section includes all the relevant information you need to know. And we’ve also included some handy tips to help you get your finances in good shape before you apply.
Who can apply for a Kensington mortgage:
To apply, you and any joint applicant will need to:
- Be a permanent UK resident and UK tax payer
- Be able to provide evidence of your income and outgoings to show that you can afford a mortgage
- Be 21 years old or over to apply for a residential mortgage and 18 years old or over to apply for a Buy to Let mortgage
- Want to buy or remortgage a property in the UK of a standard construction with a working kitchen and bathroom
Information we may need to see:
We may ask your mortgage adviser to supply the following on your behalf:
- 3 month's bank statements
- Any other proof of income
- Your passport or other identification
Money In, Money Out:
We’ll also need to understand what money you earn and what you spend each month to help our underwriters assess what you’ll be able to comfortably afford to pay so that you don’t struggle with your monthly repayments.
- Credit, store or charge card balances (both sole and joint applicants)
- Loans (both sole and joint applicants)
If you have a few blips on your credit file:
As a specialist mortgage lender, we’re used to dealing with less than perfect credit such as a missed credit card payment or a County Court Judgement. We’ll do what we can to help if you have recent:
- Missed credit card payment(s)
- Missed mobile phone payment(s)
Top tips to get mortgage fit:
- Try to reduce the balance or settle any outstanding loans or credit cards you may have before you apply for your mortgage
- Check your credit file and close any past credit accounts that you no longer use
- The bigger deposit you have the more likely you are to benefit from a lower interest rate rate, so it’s worth saving as much as you can before you apply for your mortgage
- Include running costs such as household bills, council tax, insurance and maintenance when you’re calculating how much you’d like to borrow, as well as how much you’ll need to live on each month after you’ve paid all your bills
- If you’re not already, make sure you’re on the electoral roll as this information can be used to verify your address details
- A missed mobile phone payment could impact your credit file so always be sure to keep up to date if you have a monthly payment plan
- Be sensible with the amount you want to borrow as your home can be repossessed if you don’t keep up the repayments
Here's what our customers say
Don’t just take our word for it. See what our customers are saying about Kensington:
Ready to take the next step?
Use our Mortgage Match tool to find the Kensington mortgage that might meet your needs. Find out if you're eligible in just 60 seconds, and it won't affect your credit score.
At the end of this process, if you agree, we will pass your information to our preferred mortgage adviser Like Mortgage Advice, who can advise you FEE FREE on Kensington’s products, and guide you through the application process.
Like Mortgage Advice is an appointed representative of Hawke Financial Services LLP, who are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA Register No. 478284).
Find your own mortgage adviser
If you prefer, you can use your own mortgage adviser. If you don’t already have one, you can visit Unbiased.co.uk where you'll find a list of advisers you can choose from.