Do you have a Green Cashback Mortgage? We’ve put together some FAQ's to provide the answers to any questions you have.

How can I find a copy of my Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)?
For properties in England, Wales and Northern Ireland, you can find a copy of your EPC online at using your postcode or unique reference number. For properties in Scotland, please visit
What happens if the home I’m remortgaging or buying doesn’t have an EPC?

In that case, you’ll need to have a new EPC assessment undertaken to determine the home’s current energy performance rating. For properties in England, Wales and Northern Ireland, you can find an assessor by visiting or For properties in Scotland, please visit

What happens if the property’s existing EPC has expired?

You will need to have a new EPC assessment undertaken to determine the home’s current energy performance rating. For properties in England, Wales and Northern Ireland, you can find an assessor by visiting or

For properties in Scotland, please visit

How much will an EPC assessment cost?

The cost for an EPC assessment can vary depending on who the assessment company is and which area you live in. For properties in England, Wales and Northern Ireland, if you visit or you’ll be able to find an assessor. For properties in Scotland, please visit When you contact your chosen assessor they will give you a cost.

Why do I need to supply you with a new EPC rating?

We’ll need to see what your EPC rating is before and after you make any home improvements that improve your energy efficiency rating, so we can verify that you have either moved to the next EPC banding or increased your SAP points by at least 10 points.

We may hold your EPC rating at point of completion, please check with us before requesting this again. 

For example, if the SAP points shown on your EPC are 55 and the band is D, before you make any home improvements, and your new EPC shows that your band has moved to C or your points have increased to 65, after the home improvements, we will be able to verify that your energy efficiency rating has improved by one of the required amounts to qualify for the cashback. 

What kind of home improvements can help me increase my SAP points or improve the banding?
You will find recommended energy efficiency improvements for the property on your existing EPC and the number of SAP points and associated band that each measure accumulates.
I’m thinking about having solar panels fitted to my roof; is there anything I need to consider and do I need to ask your permission first?

If you plan to purchase solar panels outright and your property is freehold, you do not need to request consent from us.  However, if you would like to enter into a lease agreement with a solar panel firm you must request consent. Before we can give you consent to proceed, we will need confirmation that your request meets several requirements including, but not limited to, that your property is freehold and that the installation firm you plan to use is accredited by the Microgeneration Certification Scheme (MCS). 

Will I need a solicitor to review the solar panel lease agreement?

Yes. We will need you to instruct a solicitor (following completion and at your own expense) who is willing to act on behalf of you and Kensington. The solicitor will need to review the lease agreement and confirm that our minimum requirements for consent have been met.

What happens if the recommended energy efficiency improvements on my EPC don't increase the band or add up to 10 SAP points?

In this case, we would recommend you talk to your broker as another Kensington mortgage may be more suitable for you.

Where do I send my new EPC?
Once you have completed your energy efficient home improvements and have a new EPC, you can send it to us by email at or by post at Kensington Mortgages, Ascot House, Maidenhead Office Park, Maidenhead, SL6 3QQ.
Is there a time limit for me to carry out the home improvements and send my new EPC to you?

Yes, you have 12 months from the date of your mortgage completion to make any home improvements and send a new EPC to us.

How long will it take for you to verify my new band or SAP points increase?

We ask that you allow 5-10 working days for us to verify your energy rating or SAP points increase. 

What happens after I have submitted my new EPC to you?

We’ll write to you to let you know the outcome of the review of your new EPC and SAP points.

How long after you have verified my increase in SAP points or improved banding will it take for me to be paid the cashback?

We’ll pay the £1,000 cashback into the bank account your active Direct Debit is collected from within 5-10 working days. 

Are there any instances where I won’t be paid my cashback?

To be eligible for your cashback, you must make your claim within 12 months of completion and your mortgage account will need to be up to date, with all monthly payments having been made on time and in full.  You will also need to have an active Direct Debit in place. 

What happens if my SAP points increase or band improvement isn’t verified?

If we are unable to verify an improvement in your energy band rating or a SAP points increase, we will write to you and let you know the reason why.

If you can’t verify my SAP points increase or band improvement, will I have another opportunity to increase them?

If you are still within 12 months of the completion date of your mortgage, you can make another application. 

Please be aware mortgages are secured against your home and your home may be repossessed if you do not keep up repayments on your mortgage.