Mortgages for the self-employed
Whether your clients are self-employed, contractors or freelancers; croupiers, builders, start-up entrepreneurs or dentists, our range of mortgages are designed to work for them.
15% of the UK workforce is self-employed*.
Many might not apply for a mortgage for fear of rejection. Our mission is to change that.
*ONS Trends in self-employment in the UK – Feb 2018
Lending criteria that's flexible
We’ll work off your client’s latest years accounts
We only require 1 year's trading history up to 85% LTV
Contractor income is calculated on current weekly contract x48 weeks
- Share of latest year's net profit and salary accepted
- Share of latest year's salary and dividends accepted for Limited Companies
- No restriction on professions
- Same rates as for employed clients
- Debt Management Plans considered
The Kensington Difference
- Manual underwriting - We use people to underwrite your client’s application rather than rely on machines.
- Flexible criteria - One size never fits all. That's why our lending criteria are designed to be flexible, meaning we can accommodate the inevitable ebbs and flows that can happen when your clients work for themselves
- Experience and expertise - It’s fair to say there's not much we don’t know about self-employed applicants. In 2020 alone, over a third of our completed mortgages were for applicants who were self-employed.
Watch our videos
From webinars to FAQs, find all our self-employed videos here.
Don't just take our word for it
Here’s what brokers say about Kensington